Great Classrooms?

November 4, 2008

I’ve got an honest question for you.

What are the things that would make a classroom great place to be and a great place to learn? What would the teacher be like? What kinds of things would the students be doing and be involved in? How would the day be spent?

I’m really curious to know your opinions on this so please leave me a comment and let me know what you think a great classroom would be like.

Entry Filed under: School. Posted in  School .

20 Comments Add your own

•    daniel  |  November 5th, 2008 at 9:34 am     

a great classroom would be great if you made projects fun and less boring the kids will be better and entertained

•    daniel  |  November 5th, 2008 at 10:12 am     

hi I think that the class room would be better if you took us to people who study or work with this stuff for a living or get them in here and if their not in town but you have connections ask if they would mind talking over the internet like the L.A. class.

•    taiya  |  November 5th, 2008 at 10:15 am     

To me a great classroom would be a place that is fun. Where your learning but your don’t even notice. We would play games and have a lot of classes outside of the school. We would go on a lot of field trips to places in and out of our community.The teacher would be insanely nice. But fun and wacky to. We would be able to sit where ever we wanted and talk with the people we wanted to. We would decently have nap time for our first class and Home EC. right after and there would always be cooking no book work involved in Home EC. . We would also have gym everyday. Going to school would be fun and you would still learn a lot. Also there would be no banned 5 foods or dress-code. This is what a great classroom would be to me.

•    Eric  |  November 5th, 2008 at 1:05 pm     

I think that a better classroom would be of everyone had one class to do whatever they wanted anywhere in Snow Lake. A better class is where the teacher is nice, and the kids don’t beat each other up whenever they see each other. You could have an order list for the computers, so everyone would have a fair turn. (do that, please!!) A better classroom, would be where people learned willing, and were not forced to.
    -Eric

•    Josh  |  November 5th, 2008 at 1:08 pm     

I think that the classroom would be a great place to learn if we did more stuff on the computer because lots of people like to do stuff on the computer and they might do more work. For example if it is a writing assignment the might type faster then they can write and they will be done faster. If the classroom was like this i think the teacher would need to know what websites to go to. The students would probably be getting their own laptop and bringing it to school and know how to work their computer.

•    Blaise  |  November 5th, 2008 at 1:19 pm     

Hi I think that the classroom would be more fun by having a few field trips and have assingments that are fun.I think that the teacher would be like happy and wont give us work that is due to close like tomorrow.I think that the class would go outside alot for work. The day would be spent by having fun.

•    Alysa  |  November 5th, 2008 at 1:31 pm     

To me a great classroom would have to be fun. It should include fun activities that teach things to you but you dont notice that you are actually learning something. The teacher would have to be able to help out with anything if you had trouble and should also be fun and not dull and boring. The students would be involved in school activites like sports and student council. They day would be spent like a normal school day but it would have more active activites rather then sitting in school desk and chair all day.

-Alysa

•    Taylor  |  November 5th, 2008 at 1:37 pm     

Hey a good Class room to me is when we did less work made experiments for fun. We went on field trips or spent more time out side doing stuff. Or if we got to chose how we wanted to do things in a day. We should do stuff for fun instead of having questions or having to do something with the experiment we did.These thing would make school more fun and less boring for kids and they would want to put effort and time in to it.
    well thats what i think a good class room woud be.

•    Logyn  |  November 5th, 2008 at 1:43 pm     

A few things I would change would be the time school starts. I would run it at 12:00 till 6:00. I wouldnt use textbooks because I think it wrecks the fun out of working. I know that learning isn’t always fun but if you learn a fun way you wont even notice that you a really learning. I would let the kids sit where they want sit and be able to talk and express their opinions. The day would be spent having fun while learning.
    Logyn

•    Hannah  |  November 5th, 2008 at 2:04 pm     

Heyy. I think a great classroom is a place where everyone can interact and learn while not even noticing, It should be a place where you play games to learn and have fun with your friends. It should also be a place where we can go on trips and go places to discover and learn more about them with their own eyes.

•    tyler  |  November 5th, 2008 at 2:07 pm     

i think we should go out sid of a ss class to look at nature and animals

•    tubby03  |  November 5th, 2008 at 3:34 pm     

I think to make school a more better place to be would be that you get to do that get to is that the teachers are less striked about making homework every night because you go to school for about 5 1/2 hours and then you get around 6 hours of your own time, and people that go to curling, hockey volleyball and other kinds of sports kids don’t really have that much time to just sit and watch TV or go on the computer or just hang out with some friends.
    In school you still need to learn, but school can’t all be about sit down at your desk and the teachers explain something that give students work sheets. In school you still need to learn but to learn you can make it fun like doing partner work or work that involves actives to do to get you answer.

•    Sara  |  November 5th, 2008 at 5:12 pm     

I think a good classroom would be one where everyone could talk and share their opinions. It should have fun activities that teach you what you need to learn but still in a fun, enjoyable way. The teacher should be nice and allow us to have fun. I think having outdoor classes would be cool in the summer/warmer months where we could just sit on the grass and learn. It would be cool if we could go on field trips and learn with real life experiences rather than reading about them.

•    Nick  |  November 5th, 2008 at 6:24 pm     

To me a great classroom would have a nice relaxing decor, and a nice and patient teacher. We would have comfortable seats and we would have some classes outdoors, to see how things in nature works. We would have regular field trips to workplaces that people actually work at to see if we like that job.

•    Diego  |  November 5th, 2008 at 6:33 pm     

I think the ideal classroom is where every student is having fun and learning, and in my opinion, interactivity is the keyword to accomplish this.
    In order to make the students feel interest in a specific area, it-s a good idea to develop projects that make them realize why is that important out there, and trying to relate the common interest in students with that area, it-s a hard work, but it should be worthy.
    In the classroom, is a good idea to promote academic discussions and encourage the students to take a critic attitude towards the world, studying how it changes and why, so that way, they will be able to make it better in the future.
    Practical examples, according with a pleasant environment, will keep the students interest in knowledge and will develop their personalities, to make them great people.

•    Scott (is awesome)  |  November 5th, 2008 at 8:32 pm     

Hi Mr.Fisher to answer your question, a better classroom would have to be more athletic, say if you got a question wrong than you would have to do some kind of physical activity or we could have extended perids of gym class. Also the class would have to be fun, you could be learning lots by fun games and not even realise it, it would be open to everyone’s ideas, and in homec we would not have to do book work, It’s boring

•    Devon  |  November 5th, 2008 at 8:59 pm     

I think a good classrom would be a room were we could play video games like world of warcraft and we can talk. When we do our work we can pair up with people. The teacher would like to show how things worked with video games and youtube videos. We would also go out of town to talk to people to figure out there jobs and what they did and stuff like that.

•    Bob Cotter  |  November 6th, 2008 at 4:22 pm     

I am sitting with some grade 6 and 7 students. We used Kidspiration to brainstom and here are some of our ideas.

More choices for hot lunch
    Lauren and Alex – draw on the chalkboard more
    Kayla – Nap time morning and afternoon
    Hour of PE every day with students choosing the activity
    Less time in the classroom and more time at home
    Hannah – More fieldtrips
    Ashley – Soundproof doors so you can dance freely in the classroom
    Cole – more class parties
    Free time for internet browsing
    Alex and Lauren – no more Social Studies
    Camile – choose the subjects we want to do
    Christian – free hot lunch
    Sara – more time for art
    Plasma tv in the classroom
    Get the government to give the schools more money to allow for more interesting activities
    Madeline – laptop for each student. One to take home and use at school.
    Hannah – Really nice and cool teachers like Ms. Gormley
    Sara – More bake sales

•    David Truss  |  November 11th, 2008 at 12:35 pm     

Here is a very different classroom to provoke some thought:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgpuSo-GSfw
    What happens when you take this kind of learning environment and add a digital/global perspective?